ScribbleScrabble

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

I remember an episode of Seinfeld. Elaine is at Barney’s New York, trying out a dress. She looks in the mirror, she’s tall and slender, and she looks perfect in the dress. Of course she buys the dress! But when she comes home and tries the dress again, it didn’t look as great. Then she realizes, it must be the mirrors! The mirrors were lying to her!!!

I was out shopping with Shelly the other day, and that is what we realized. All the mirrors in the changing room of every store we went to, it seems, were designed to make you look taller and slimmer. Because somehow, anything you wore would look much better on you. Smart, sly, marketers!!! I guess all those clothing retail stores are guilty of it.

I wonder how many people are dissatisfied with what they see in the mirror every morning? If I wanted to, I have a ton of things to complain about. My unbearably short height, my terrible skin, the dark rings forming under my eyes (due to my dysfunctional biorhythm for the past several weeks), and at least one other “defect” I don’t wish to mention here. I can choose to sulk and be unhappy about it, but is it worth it? I guess it’s better to learn to live with my imperfections. Nobody’s perfect. Everyone has their own flaws. Stop thinking about what I don’t have. Focus on what I have, and make the best of it. There’s already a lot to be grateful for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home