ScribbleScrabble

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Me & Sis

When we were young, people could tell us apart instantly. My sis was the extrovert and I was the introvert. She was the wild sassy one, doing cartwheels and always prancing around for attention. She was opinionated, creative, and hard-headed (well that, I am too -- runs in the family). Anyway, my sis was the free sprit. I, on the other hand, was the calm witty one. I was always reading, dreaming and writing up fictitious stories. I was perceptual and controlled. Generally speaking, she was the fun crazy one. I was the smart boring one.




you should know by now who's who



Then somewhere along the lines, things started to shift. I’m still the bland one, not caring too much about how I look and what I wear-for example, and in the eyes of some people I know, I’m still overly reserved. But somehow my sister and I seemed to have picked up a twisted value system.

Relatively speaking, I’m the risk taker, she’s the risk averse.
I speak without thinking, more of the I’m the feel-and-do without thinking
My sis on the other hand seems to have become the wise think&think again kind of person.

While she always seems to be the politically and ethically correct
I can only strive to be one
And up to this point, I must admit I’m only hypocritically succeeding
(apa kata ibu-ibu nanti?)

So in all of my endeavors,
she’s the one who tells me to stand by the river when the currents are strong, but I’m the one that goes jumping into the wavy waters anyway.
She’s the one who sticks to the lines, while I tend to stretch the lines a bit (or a lot).
She’s the level headed one, while I’m the pathetic romantic.



Although I am scared of every single feathered being on the face of this earth
(In biology they fall under the taxonomy of Aves)
I still believe in flying, and flying high.
And if I ever have to fall because that, I fall hard – flat on the face.
At least by flying I can see the view from up above.
One I would never see if I never take the jump.

I don’t know which way is right, or which way is better.
But I know that if I never jump, I never learn my lessons.
Then again, as hard as it is for me to admit, she’s been pretty correct in reading the consequences of my preferences.
I've experienced my thrills and paid the prices that came along with them
Had I listened to her I might've saved myself a few tea bags
There are no regrets though



But when another round comes along, should I listen to her sensible views? Or should I stick with my questionable senses?
Should I stay behind the line or risk the tides?
Yet, I thank her now and again.
For always bringing me back to reality
For facing me with bitter truths that everybody hates to hear.
I become more mindful
But I’ll always choose to walk the tight rope
Experience the exhilaration
And accept risk of failing
(Except when it comes to the case of getting heavily intoxicated and dealing with a whole week of unbearable irritation; that I’ve learned my lesson well, and that I think my sis is so much better at ;P )
Cuz life just ain’t that fun when you stand in the sidelines

Thanks Sis!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home