ScribbleScrabble

Monday, August 25, 2008

Manila

So Manila wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. And Philippine Airlines was pleasantly delightful. On my way from Jakarta, the flight was empty so I was able to secure a 3-seat row all to myself. Good sleep.

When I got to Manila, I checked in at the transfer desk, to confirm my hotel arrangements. As had been notified, I was assigned to Century Park Manila. The lady officer asked whether I wanted transportation to and back to the airport in lieu of 1breakfast. Knowing from my good friend Uthe that I would be charged 700 pesos (Rp 175.000) to get to anywhere in Manila by airport taxi, and remembering the bread & pastries my mom packed for me, I opted for the transport immediately.

I headed for the airport taxi center where I was greeted by a male officer. I’d like to note that one recurring theme during my 34 hrs in Manila was my age. At least 3 people asked me, and of course they all assumed I was below 25, hahaha. How flattering. Now, when you get to be my age, this becomes a sensitive issue. But for Filipinos, apparently, age may be a common subject, as was for this male officer.

“How old are you?”
“Why do you ask?”
“You look very young. Are you 22? Or 24?”
“I’m older than you think.”
“Are you married?”
“Not yet.”
“Perhaps you would like me to visit you at the hotel tonight?”
“No thanks!”
Heeeeeeeeeeeh??!!!! Kampret ni orang! Isn’t that just a little harassing and a great bit offensive?
But I let the issue go.

Century Park, although a bit outdated, was OK for a five-star hotel. At least it was better than the terrifying reviews I read about it on Yahoo. Apparently management fixed themselves up a bit. I checked in and asked whether the hotel could sign me up on a city tour. Michelle, the kind receptionist helped me to find a basic half-day tour: 2,750 pesos. Later she called me to my room to tell me they would pick me up at 8.30 and that the price had become cheaper: 1,375 pesos, not bad.
Now I forgot the name of my tour guide but he was very kind, outgoing, and informative. God bless him. There were five of us on the tour. Two Singaporean girls who spoke Malay and a couple from New Jersey who had just moved in to work in Manila. We went to the Manila American Cemetery & Memorial, Rizal Park, and Intramuros. We also passed by the Business District and other interesting spots like the Cultural Center, Coconut Palace, and Folk Arts Theater.

I bought lunch at a bento place behind the hotel. Not so great. So again thank God for the food my mom packed me, I luv you Mom!!

Eniwei, I spent the rest of the day in the hotel. Sleeping, reflecting, sorting things out. It was a memorable day. The day after Indonesia's Independence Day. The day Musharraf resigned from office. The long day before I begin a new and unforeseeable phase in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home